Silhouette Cookies

The problem is that we just can't stop.

Callye (Sweet Sugar Belle) and I are soooooo inspired by pinterest that we have a long list of cookie inspiration.  I'm sure those of you who have been on "pinterest inspiration overload" can relate.

So my latest inspirations are silhouettes.
Take a look at all of these Silhouettes on Pinterest.

You've seen basic, generic silhouettes.  Like this random old lady.
IMG_1535

But what I love about the crafters in blogland and on pinterest, is that they are making silhouettes of their own children into beautiful home decor!   Nie Nie's silhouettes were the first ones I remember noticing, back in 2008 or so when I became addicted to her style, story and blog.   So, naturally, I wanted to make silhouettes of my children into cookies!
IMG_1516

The first thing I did was to take a profile picture of my kids.  They were horrible quality pictures, but it didn't matter for these purposes!  I printed them out in a 2.5 inch size.
Untitled-1
Then I took my cookies that were ready with a base layer that had dried 24 hours.  You can refer to this post for details on that.
IMG_1518

I cut out those little pictures and placed them on my cookie.
IMG_1418

You can decide which way you want the silhouette to face.
IMG_1420

Then I simply traced an outline with an edible ink pen and colored it in.
IMG_1424

But I didn't really like that you could see brush strokes.  Maybe my pens are low on ink, but I prefer the raised look of using icing for the silhouette anyway.  So you can just outline and then fill in with icing.
IMG_1433

I found that it's a little harder, even with a #1 tip to get their little profiles as exact with icing.  In fact, when I told my son that this cookie was of him, he denied it was him.  Then in further discussion, he busted out with a perfect movie quote from Tangled.  He said, "they just can't get my nose right!"  I was dying of hysterics!  My four year old has great comedic timing, which makes me even prouder than silhouette cookies.  Anyway, I added a little dotty border because I'm addicted to this border right now.
IMG_1509

With Halloween around the corner, I've seen silhouettes used in a cute and spooky way!  I made a few trick-or-treater silhouette cookies here.
IMG_1495

These were made by simply putting the picture into my kopykake projector.  It just helped me skip the step of cutting out and tracing.  These are just internet graphics, but these would be so cute if you actually made one of your kids in their costume from years past.  Now I know how to pose my kids in such a way that they will make cute silhouette costume pictures for next year.  Done.
Karen's cookies made some darling halloween silhouette cookies too that are even more detailed!
IMG_1475

Now you have to go over to the Adventures of Sweet Sugar Belle and swoon over Callye's Sunburst cookies.  Sunbursts are all the rage you know.  And they are about to be your favorite cookie too!
Sunburst Cookies
This is the latest in our series.  Check out our previous cookies here:
Pinterest Inspired Cookies
Quatrefoil Cookies
Chevron Cookies
Vintage Inspired Cookies
Mustache Cookies
Pennant Banner Cookies
Owl Cookies
Cupcake Topper Cookies
Subway Art Cookies
Keep Calm Cookies
Ombre Cookies

Labels: ,