Quatrefoil Cookies

Are you guys ready for a week of fun cookies?

I am SO excited to be teaming up with the great Callye of "The Sweet Adventures of Sugar Belle."
If you are a cookie fan, I'm sure you know that her work is absolutely the best!  Here are a few reasons why Callye is at the top of my list of inspiring cookie decorators:

1.  She gives great step by step tutorials on darling cookies.
2.  The girl thinks outside the box and comes up with some genius holiday inspiration!
3.  She has a facebook page where she shares lots of inspiration and frankly cracks my up!
4.  She shares more than just sugar cookie recipes.   I must try these!
5.  Ummm...  Look at her cookie cutter collection.  Now you want to be her best friend too, right?
6.  I could go on, and on, but you just need to go check out her blog.

Well, I've enjoyed getting to know Callye and "talking cookie" with her.  It is fun to chat with someone else who's brain just immediately converts things into cookies.  We are both pinterest fans and love to follow the latest blog trends.  But how could these decorating, crafting, sewing, fashion blog trends translate into cookie decorating?  Well, we set out to find a way!  And for the next 5 days we are going to share our pinterest inspired cookies with you!

Pinterest Inspired Cookies

We are starting out with two of the most popular prints around pinterest and all of blogland!  Callye is doing chevron cookies and I am doing quatrefoil cookies. 
IMG_7396

I started with a plain gray background.  Because I'm pretty sure that gray is the new black!  And I just can't get enough of it!  Here is a link to a post with my recipes and basics of frosting cookies.  But if you follow Callye, or I, you know just how to pipe a border and flood.  You are basically professional at it, right?  So the base layer has to dry for at least a day.  Then, I used my kopykake projector to show the pattern right onto the cookie.  I used a stiff icing and a #1 tip to do these slightly different patterns.
IMG_7423

But if you don't have a projector, never fear!  It is simple and easy to do with a homemade stencil!  

Hey if people can stencil a whole rug or a whole wall, then we can stencil onto a cookie, right?

I made a tiny little stencil by hand, and got out my fine tip food writer.  It is important that your base layer is nice and hard because you put a bit of pressure on it when you hold the stencil in place.  
IMG_8609


I started in the top, middle.  Then went straight down from there.
IMG_8614


After I did a row, I started on the next.
IMG_8621


I worked my way across one side, then turned the cookie around and did the other side.
IMG_8630


Then, because you are a glutton for cookie punishment, you go over your pattern with some icing!
IMG_8592


You could keep it exactly how it was with the pattern in edible ink, 
but here is an example of how it looks in comparison to a #1 and #2 tip.  
IMG_8636

For more quatrefoil inspiration, click here to see a quatrefoil pinterest board.

And for Chevron inspiration, you MUST go see Callye's post!
Sweet Sugar Belle's Chevron inspired cookies!

Labels: