Tie-Dyed Cake

My oldest wanted to go to a theme park for a day instead of having a birthday party.  Easy enough for mom!  But we still had to do the traditional birthday dinner and cake at home.  And a girl as cool as this needs a cool cake!  Sidenote: I just love this girl, and I'm so proud of who she is!
birthday girl
(digital frame purchased from house of 3)


I remember coming across a tie-dye-ish cake when I googled "rainbow cake" a while ago.  But when you google "tie-dye cake" you get lots of variations of cake batter that is dyed and mixed.

This was our take on a tie-dye cake:
IMG_6571

You can see my buttercream was a little thick.  I was so busy trying to smooth it out, you know, since I broke up with fondant and couldn't use it.  By the way, I appreciate all of your comments and sympathizing with my break-up.  Apparently I'm not alone.  So anyway, back to the butter cream...I used too much, but didn't realize it until I cut into it.  But seriously, the birthday girl eats her cake like this anyway...
IMG_6554

But something has got to hold the cakes together, so simple buttercream frosting did the trick.
I topped it with curly candles and a mini pennant banner.  Pretty simple, and she loved her little sign.
cake


So here's how it went down:
I started with 2 white cake mixes.  (I know sometimes I'm a foodie snob, but sometimes I just want it to be fast.  Call me fickle.)  I divided and dyed.  I wasn't really happy with my shade of green, but... "you win some, you lose some."  Oh well.

IMG_6424

Then I lined my pans with parchment, buttered and floured.
IMG_6438

Then little miss birthday girl, helped me pour the batter.  I think that how you pour it, has a lot to do with
how it looks in the end.  You can decide if you want to pour in small or large amounts of color.
IMG_6443

This is how ours looked before baking.
IMG_6452'

But when all of the randomness is layered on top of one another, you get a tie-dyed cake!
IMG_6604

You also get a happy "birthday girl!"  Which is even better than a tie-dyed cake!
70s copy
(photoshop action from pioneer woman) 

Labels: