You've Got... Mail Cookies!

I think about cookies a lot.
mailbox cookies

And I happened to be thinking about cookies as I passed the dollar aisle at Target the other day.
I saw these adorable little mailboxes that, I have purchased in previous years.  My kids used them to put "warm fuzzy" notes in.
mailboxes

This is when my kind of "a-ha" moment happened!   (Someone call Oprah before she goes off the air).
I could make sugar cookies that look like mail!  Oh yesssss!

Making a simple rectangle cookie is the simple part.
I used a ruler and a knife as I rolled them out, so they were roughly the same.
Then I frosted with some royal icing.  (recipe here)
I frosted all the way to the edge.  I'm trying to make a cookie look like an envelope...no small task.blank

As I experimented, I knew making the back of an envelope would be just as cute as the front.
So why not do both?
IMG_1644

Why not do both on the same cookie?
side

Friends, I frosted the front and back!  Have I gone to far in the name of cookie mail?
I don't know, but I know I liked it.
It's like a reverse oreo.  More frosting, more sugar, more cuteness.
IMG_1636

In the name of frosting experimentation and my extreme indecisiveness, I made several versions.
The first envelope is outlined and then glittered with disco dust.
envelope 2

Envelope #2 is my realistic version.
envelope with hearts

Just one more layer of frosting for the "flap."  No licking to seal, although it would taste great.
side of envelope

I also experimented with the stamps.
I tried piping them right onto the cookie, and not filling it in (left).
Then I tried making them on a piece of parchment, letting them dry, then attaching them with frosting (right).
stamps

Now that I'm all practiced up, I may make my kids' teachers a mailbox full of "mail cookies."
teacher

This isn't a bad idea for someone you visit, as well.
vt

And I for sure won't forget to make some for my valentine.
Included will be a "mushy gushy valentine" note, (as Junie B. would put it).
cupid ln

Okay, this one might be taking mushy, gushy too far.
I ate this before my valentine could officially turn me in, to the cheezy police.
romeo

So let's just bring it down a notch.
happy valentine's day

A simple message in a simple $1.00 mail box will do the trick, eh?
happy valentine's in box

Checking the mailbox just got way more fun!
If only there could be cookies (instead of bills) in my real mailbox...
I can dream.

p.s.  Soon, I will be sharing some recipes and more detailed cookie tips that work for me.  Stay tuned if you want more!

I'm linking to  Be Different Act NormalTatertots and JelloToday's Creative Blog and Blue Cricket Design!

Labels: ,