Fortune Teller Costume

She can see candy in your future.
fortune teller 4

I wanted to share this amateur costume I worked on this week.
I'm getting into a bad habit of buying fabric, with no plan and no pattern.
I either have too much faith in myself, or I'm too cheap to buy the pattern.

But the truth is, I have low standards. I'm only trying to impress my kids, which is very easy.
They are always super stoked about the sewing I do and that's why its so rewarding for me.
This is a total low pressure situation.

I made this blouse out of muslin. I used 3 yards for $2.50.
I knew I wanted puffy sleeves and lace ups on the front.
I used some scrapbook eyelets to do this. Whatever works!
fortune teller

I made this purple skirt with 2 yards of this cheap purple stuff.
I simply made a casing at the top and threaded it with elastic.
Then I added two ruffle layers that were 2x the length of the skirt.
fortune teller 2

I made the scarf the same way I make receiving blankets. Simply double fold the edges and sew!
The yellow sash is just 1/4 yard of sparkly tulle.
The head piece was a scarf I found on clearance at target. We also got fun earrings that she loved!
$17.00+ a happy kid= successful costume.

She really played up her role.
fortune teller 3

So this year, I ended up making 2 costumes. (Here is the witch costume)
girls

And buying one.
knight

This little boy fell in love with this costume (probably because of the sword) from Costco.
And as much as I love making a costume that they adore, I equally love buying a costume they adore.

Any way you do it, they get candy!


p.s. Did you see the fabulous painted projects over at "Sew Dang Cute?"
Go vote for your favorite.

I'm linking to Allie Makes!

Labels: ,