Fall Cookie Bouquet

I'm a fan of cookie bouquets and putting cookies on sticks. Can you be a fan of that of facebook?
I guess I'd have to be on facebook first.
leaf cookies
You can apply the royal frosting/ toothpick method to beautify any sugar cookie.

(Here's a post with the royal frosting recipe and here's a post about the toothpick method.)

I rolled out my dough a little thicker than usual and inserted a skewer about 2/3 the way to the top.
Make sure the dough is still nice and cold because then your leaf won't get deformed when you do this.
baking leaf cookies
Then after you do the edge and fill, while it's wet draw on it with different colors.

Don't be careful. Kids can do it.

Then take your toothpick and swirl the colors, make vine-like motions.

Here's a few before and after examples:
cookie 4

cookie 2

This one is a little busy with lots of swirling.
cookie 3

This one was very simple.
cookie 1

They're all different. And frankly, I felt like a frosting abstract artist. Okay, I'm flattering myself.

It's just something I had fun with that I thought I should share the love.
I gave a pan to my kids to decorate and go to town with, and I set aside my pile to play with.

After they dried, I slipped my cookies into a little plastic bag. (usually used for candy making)
I tied them with raffia
sticks

And put some foam in a pot
And put my sticks in the foam,
And as I went, I hot glued some fake leaves to cover the foam.

putting it together

I think they made a pretty cute visiting teaching gift. This would be cute for a teacher gift too. Or they could be your centerpieces for the kids table at Thanksgiving and they could eat them for dessert!
leaf cookies 2

I hope someone can find this helpful or fun!

Labels: ,