Pretty Pumpkin Party

I had a few screws loose in my head when I decided to throw two birthday parties in two days. I often overestimate my abilities. But, alas, 14 little girls and 20 teenagers came, they squealed, they ate, they left. And I survived.

Camille wanted a pumpkin party but not scary pumpkins or pumpkins to eat, she wanted cute pumpkins. I made little shirts for each of the girls with an appliqued pumpkin on it.

DSC_0068

Which matched the invitations.

DSC_0123

We played games like "Prickly Pumpkin" (Hot Potato), "Pumpkin, pumpkin, patch" (Duck, duck, goose) "Pumpkin, pumpkin, whose got the pumpkin?" (Button, button, whose got the button?)

They painted pumpkin masks.

DSC_0082

And had pumpkin food (but not pumpkin flavored of which yumminess is lost on 6 year olds)

DSC_0076

DSC_0071

And pumpkin sandwiches that they could add faces to with lots of pumpkin parts made of fruits, veggies etc.

DSC_0098

DSC_0099

Pumpkin cake

DSC_0072

Don't laugh, it's not my best work but it was one of the best tasting cakes I've made. It makes a denser, pound cake better for the pumpkin to stand. I finally used a Wilton's pumpkin cake pan that I bought on clearance at least 8 years ago....one of my better investments.

1 package (18 ounces) Favorite cake mix
1 package (4-serving size) instant pudding and pie filling mix
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil

And two of my pumpkin pinterest finds, put into action. Don't you feel so awesome when you actually do a project from one of your pinterest boards?

Scrapbook paper pumpkins

DSC_0074

Tissue paper pumpkin favors with candy inside.

DSC_0069

Here are three special nuggets of wisdom learned this weekend, which I am now passing on to you....

1. When you buy fingernail polish and practice painting pumpkins on your own nails, just know that kids' fingernails are microscopic. And it won't work.
DSC_0126
DSC_0127

2. When you try a special technique learned on pinterest to bleach around letters of a shirt you should a) follow the directions and use spray adhesive and b) empty the bleach from the spray bottle before your son tries using it as water to iron his church pants.

DSC_0100

3. Little girls squeal louder but teenagers eat more. Be prepared on both counts.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Labels: ,