Ice Cream Sundae Gift Basket

Don't you just love gift baskets?  Receiving them, I mean.

Creating them can be daunting.  I know you've all been asked to put one together for a school carnival, fundraising event, or something of that sorts.  And we all want our gift basket to look it's best, right?

Well, I tried my best in the "presentation" department for my latest gift basket assignment, and I thought I'd share some things that added a special touch to this "ice cream sundae gift basket."
IMG_4226

Well the main part of a sundae is the ice cream, but that's a little hard to package seeing as though it will melt rather quickly.  But I was so excited to find this stuff that makes homemade ice cream quick and easy.  I found it (and the baskets I packed it all in) at World Market.  Major score!
IMG_4151

And then at the same place, I found these stinkin adorable little containers that have a little scoop in them.  Perfect for the sprinkles and almonds.  Yes, toasted almonds, not peanuts.  That's how I roll.  But I bagged a couple of other toppings because I wanted them to sit right in the ice cream sundae dishes I got.  They just looked sad when they were empty.
IMG_4134


IMG_4192

Now the topping labels were fine and all, but I kind of felt like they were messing with my mojo and I wanted to cover them up.  So I sewed very simple bags to put them in.
IMG_4180

Then I stamped them with some old foam stamps and craft paint.  I figured no one was going to wash and re-use my silly topping bags, so I didn't go buy fabric paint.  But I did put some cardboard in the bag before I stamped.  I was thinking ahead, I tell ya!
IMG_4189

And while I was browsing for some white fabric I found this cute polka dot stuff that just screamed ice cream shop to me!  I was working under a time crunch, so instead of sewing a full basket liner, I just sewed a napkin and lined the basket with that.  I used this tutorial at Skip to My Lou to do my mitered corners.
IMG_4128

So all of these ice cream things are great and good, but they provide no immediate cure for a sweet tooth.  So, I thought a little cookie was in order for the recipient to munch while they get their ice cream done!
IMG_4217

I've done a cookie similar to this before, but I thought I'd show you how simple the steps are:
For my "bubble gum ice cream" I just used medium thickness (10-15 second) pink royal icing and threw on some colorful sugar pearls while it was wet.  I let it dry about a half hour in between layers.
IMG_4168

For the "mint chip" layer, I did the same with green icing and candy covered chocolate chips.  They come in a rainbow of colors, but I picked out the brown ones.  I'm dedicated to the cause...
IMG_4175

Then I simply made the cone!
IMG_4197

After about 5 hours when that frosting was mostly dry, I decided it would be better as a waffle cone.
I do love a good waffle cone at the yogurt shop!
IMG_4209

So that is what went into this little basket of mine.
I figured I couldn't go wrong when giving the gift of ice cream!
IMG_8230

Assembling this gift basket ended up to be quite a fun (and not a daunting) task!  I didn't have any exact plans when I went out shopping.  I just seemed to easily find a few items that got me excited!  I love it when that happens!  So gear up for your fundraisers, friends.  I just know you will have gift basket success too!

Labels: , ,