How I Feel...

Can I tell you how I feel?
IMG_5958

This is me right now.
IMG_5981

So here's the bad news:  My sister, Kathryn, is moving away.

Right now we live about 5 minutes away from each other.  We have many of the same friends, our kids do many of the same activities, we rely on each other for childcare, we talk daily, we lunch often, we carpool, our husbands are friends, our kids are "besties," we plan parties together, we craft together, and the list goes on..... and on.....

But her husband has been commuting a long way, for a long time, so they decided they should consider moving closer to his job.

This was how I felt.  Immediately, shocked and choked up.  Lump in the throat, tears coming to my eyes...  but I tried to push past it and be as supportive as I could.
IMG_5974

You see, in the past, I haven't done so well.

Let me share a tidbit from the growing up years:

When Kathryn announced her engagement, I stormed out of the room crying.
(Granted I was in junior high, and was even more over-dramatic than I am now.)
IMG_5989

But I was sure that my sister was leaving me, and that things would never be the same with her leaving home.  Yes, I should've been happy for her, but instead I wallowed in my own self-pity.  Sad, but true.  Her husband (then fiance) tried to compensate for stealing my sister by buying me a VHS copy of Girls Just Want to Have Fun.  It kind of worked.  
IMG_5955-2

I got excited about being the maid of honor and getting my nails done, so I perked up.  I was back to being a happy teenager.  True story.

I tell this to you, mostly because it's funny, but also, because it reminds me not to act like an idiot and feel sorry for myself just because my sister is moving away.  Her family is on to wonderful things, and I am truly happy for them.  So only happy tears are allowed from now on.
IMG_6003

Happy tears because:
-I have been blessed to have a sister that has provided a wonderful example to me, my whole life.
-Since losing my mom at a young age, she has been the cheerleader I've needed.
-I'm lucky to have a sister who has always been willing to drop anything to help me.
-She has always been there for me and has helped me survive my hardest trials.
-She laughs at my jokes and thinks I'm as funny as I think I am.
-She sticks up for me and brings out the positive side of me.
-She will only be a phone call away and a few hours away.

Yes, I will survive this.

I think.
IMG_5993

I may have momentary bouts of sadness, when I miss hanging out and feel lonely.
(And maybe not get out of my pajamas all day because I'm reverting to my junior high ways, self-pity).
IMG_5984

But then I will look on this here blog, and see that she has posted her latest home project, and I will be so exited for the next visit!  Yes, this blog will now serve as a way for my sister and I to keep in touch, as well as a way for us to share our projects with all of you!  That makes me happy!
IMG_5969

So why the emoticons, you say?  Well, I thought it would make my sob story more interesting.
And because I'm an emoticon addict.  If you've ever texted me, you know that I am a big fan of my emoji app and it's just plain fun to speak in pictures.  So I ventured to make some emoticon sugar cookies, just for fun!
IMG_5955

I used luster dust to shade the cheeks.  It was my first time doing this on royal icing and it worked really well.  Whew, you finally learned something useful in this post.
IMG_6010

Now we can all end on a happy note!
IMG_6013

p.s.  Love you sis!


I'm linking to Tatertots and Jello and Be Different Act Normal.

Labels: