Stuffed French Toast

Are you looking for a yummy weekend breakfast?

My favorite breakfasts involve waffles and strawberries, crepes and strawberries,  pancakes and strawberries and french toast and strawberries.  (Maybe it's because I was allergic to strawberries a kid {hives} and I've been making up for lost time since I discovered I grew out of that allergy).

But if you add some cream cheese to the occasion, then stuffed french toast and strawberries steals the prize for my favorite breakfast ever!  Something about the sweetness of the maple syrup with the tanginess of the fruit, just makes my heart sing!
stuffed french toast

I start with "Texas toast."  Ya know, the thick cut bread?  It is actually a good thing if you have let it sit out on your counter to dry out for a few hours.  But it's not necessary.
texas toast

Then I cut through one side and make a place to put the "stuff."  Now, this isn't easy, and I've massacred many pieces of bread trying to do this.  Until I used my electric knife...  It just cuts a perfect pocket like buttuh!  However, you need to be very, VERY careful.  That thing is a lethal weapon.  I make sure my fingers are far, FAR away from the electric blade.  It's a tricky skill, try it at your own risk.  You may not want to go to extremes, just for the look of your breakfast.  You can just use 2 slices of regular bread and slap them together with the stuffing.  It doesn't look as good, and it's messier, but it's an option.
cut bread

I added a citrus kick to my cream cheese.  It adds a unique element, and I dig it.  Set out your block of cream cheese a few hours before so that it is room temp.

Combine:
8 oz cream cheese
zest of one orange
2 Tablespoons orange juice
1 Tablespoon sugar

This will generously fill about 6 slices of bread.
cream cheese

Then you need to make your french toast batter.  Here's how I do it:

3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar

I cook these on my cast iron skillet.  Let me tell you.  I entered a whole different breakfast realm when I started using this as opposed to my electric skillet.  I add 1 tsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter to the med/hot skillet!  When that melts, I throw on my toast.  I love the slightly crispy layer it gives the outside of the toast/pancake.

I cut the toast on the diagonal and garnish with strawberries, syrup and powdered sugar.  I'm sure whip cream would sweeten the deal too!  Why not go all out?
I've served these to a few crowds, and it has been a hit!  I hope you give it a try!

Labels: