I wanna be like The Story Girl

I don't want to shock you by veering from our cooking, decorating, party planning blog. But, I believe our blog is a safe place for Ashleigh and I to basically talk about stuff we like (are obsessed about). And, I love reading.

Ashleigh prefers her TV and literary choices to be reality based. She throws So You Think You Can Dance Parties, DVRs Amazing Race, American Idol and Martha. She likes to read church books, parenting books, and blogs of course. We had to hog-tie her to read the Twilight series.

As for me, I have enough REALITY in my life. Did you know a spilled 32 oz. ICEE will stain carpet, clothes, skin and possibly internal organs? I do.

DSC_7904

When I have time to relax, I want pure fiction... as evidenced by my embarrassing admission that I've seen every episode of Charmed and Smallville. I love reading, I read fiction everyday. I don't require witches or superheros in all my books. But, I do need a good dose of "Calgon, take me away."

So, I am grateful for friends who can recommend great books. These are just some of the books I've read (or plan to read soon) and loved this year and all came from recommendations.

DSC_8242

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (thank you Sarah)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Shaffer and Barrows (thank you Sharee)
More than You Know by Beth Gutcheon (thank you Alyson)
Kartography by Kamila Shamsie (thank you Lorren)
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (thank you Lorren)
Matched by Ally Condie (thank you Katie)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (thank you Katie)
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (thank you Sophie)
Revolution/ A Northern Light both by Jennifer Donnely (thank you Katie)
A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmell (thank you Leah)
Wings by Aprilynne Pike (thank you Kristen)
Graceling/ Fire series by Kristen Cashore (thank you Lauri)

If you love books too, then you must, must, must go visit my smart, insightful, cute and fun sister-in-law's blog called The Story Girl

She is a full time college student so don't ask me how she reads so much. My brain has gotten lazy and I don't always analyze why I like a book, I just know it made me laugh, or think differently about something. And then I read Lorren's review and she puts into eloquent paragraphs the exact thing I was thinking.

So go read The Story Girl and then tell me if you have any great reads I need to know about. I plan to put the computer down now and go escape reality. That is until a cough, spill, smell or child's bodily fluid forces me back.

Labels: