Shelves from Scratch

I've had this blank wall in my dining room that pains me.

I had a hopes of turning it into a focal wall with some built in furniture.
There were some structural things that were going to make it a really huge deal,
so I eased up on that dream.

Then I found a solution to my problem on one of my favorite blogs, Knock-Off Wood.
Ana is a building expert and has actually inspired me to learn how to use the power tools.
In the past, I was inspired to make my honey-do list longer. I have quite the handy husband.
But now I'm done with waiting. Ana gives all the info I need to feel confident enough to go to home depot myself.

When I found her plans for these floating shelves, I knew they would be perfect in the dining room.

Sure, you can buy them, but the longest I found were 6 feet long and I wanted them longer, to fill up the wall better.
They ended up being just shy of 8 feet long.
We made them together and I learned how to use the mitre saw and the nail gun in the process.
I appreciated my husband's patience with me. It was fun to do together.
I'm happy with the decorating possibilities this brings.

shelves

We also went a step further and used caulk to fill the small gap against the wall.
They look a little more "custom" that way.
close up

I love them because they are 8 inches deep and give me enough room to put some bulkier items on them.
lantern

I'm trying to learn how to decorate. I started, and fell into my drab decorating personality.
I love color, but I never know how to use it. I always fall back into the black, white and beige thing.
Someone save me from my boring self!
decorated

I decided I wanted this to be a place where I can decorate with some seasonal things.
Adding a little red, white and blue really perked up the place.
4th decor

I still have to paint the fabulous unfinished chairs you see in the corner.
I'm contemplating color, but I need someone to hold my hand and tell me it will be okay.
I'll let you know how that goes.

This is a step in the right direction to making my house a home.
I'm just so glad I found Knock-Off Wood. Thanks Ana!
My list of future building projects is a mile long!
Now I will be visiting my favorite decorating sites for some color tutorials
(tell me if you have a favorite I should know about).

p.s. Don't forget to enter the giveaway below!


I'm linking this project up to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Today's Creative Blog
Blue Cricket Design
Tidy Mom

Labels: , , ,