Quilt + Minky = Heaven

I finished the quilt I was working on for Lindsey.
Lindsey

She is really attached to the baby blanket my mom made for her when she was born.
It will be treasured forever, but is starting to show some real wear and tear.
Since my mom isn't here to ever replace it, we talked about putting it away
before it is totally ruined, and she can keep it in her treasure box.

Well, a quilt this cute can ease the pain, right?
Plus, it is more of a big girl, lap quilt, to snuggle on the couch with.

I got my fabric from this fabulous selection.
I started with a pattern from Moda Bake Shop.
However, I used a more uniform fabric selection, changed the size of the blocks and added more rows.
So, the pattern was a starting point, but it is not exactly the same. Please don't look close.
quilt

I was very excited to sew with minky for the first time.
Instead of the quilting suggested in the pattern, I used my mother-in-law's long arm quilter.
I wasn't sure how the minky would do, but it turned out great!
long arm quilter

I love the "freehand" swirls and how they look on a quilt.
long arm

I even attempted to stitch her full name in on one edge.
She was so excited about that. She loved having her claim on this blanket "stitched in stone."
name

Let me tell ya, this girl loves this thing!
And so does the whole family.
As soon as she walks away from it, someone is quick to steal/use it.
she loves it

I think this might be followed by many minky backed quilts.
A little more expensive, but sooooooo worth it.

I'm liking this to Today's Creative Blog, and A Soft Place to Land.

Labels: